I am truely passionate about non veg varieties.especially fish and chicken dishes.in my region we always get good n fresh fish in the morning and evening..even my mom z specialised in both veg n non veg dishes...even my dad n bro loves fish curry in any style..so i made this for my family...this one is my mother's recipie..
Fish fillets(mackerel or any fish can use) - 1kg
Shallots - 5 to 8 no s
Green chilly(half slit)(optional) - 4 no s
Ginger (small sliced) - 1 Piece
Garlic(small sliced) - 5 pods
Red chilly powder - 3 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Grated coconut - 1 cup
Coriander powder - 3 tsp
Coconut oil - 3 tabs
Curry leaves - few
Coriander leaves - 1 sprig
Tamarind(small ball size) -
cumin seeds - ½ spoon
Water - as required
Aniseed powder -1/2 spoon
How to Prepare:
1. Clean the fish and drain the excess water and for marinating , in a bowl put 1 tsp of red chilly powder ,1/2 tsp of turmeric powder ,little bit of salt ½ spoon of aniseed powder and a bit of water and mix it well and apply this paste into fish fillets and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. In a mixer ,put grated coconut ,1/2 spoon of turmeric powder ,1 spoon of red chilly powder ,tamarind piece ,shallots about 3 no s ,1/2 spoon of cumin seeds and a little bit of water and grind it well to get a thick paste.
3. Take a pan (I used clay vessel) heat 2 tabs of coconut oil ,then put slit red chilly ,curry leaves few ,ginger 1 piece and about 5 pods of garlic , then add 3 tsp of coriander powder and 1 spoon of red chilly powder and sauté well in simmer. Then put the grinded paste of coconut into the clay vessel and add ½ cup of water to get medium thick gravy and wait for 5 minutes to get boil.
4. After boiling ,put the marinated fish pieces into this gravy and stir mix slowly ,at this stage check out the salt and add if required , close with a lid and in simmer mode for 5 to 10 minutes for boiling and after boiling open the lid and add tomato pieces in this.
5. Add 1 tsp of coconut oil on the top of fish curry and turn of the fire.
6. For garnishing put chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves on the top of fish curry and serve it hot.