"queen fish and pearl spot is all time favorite fish varities for the keralites and the keralites always do different varities of experiments through fish fillets..not with these too fish but with any kind.
today i made such a variety of fish curry..i heard about the mappas variety but never tried because i doesn't get the recipe to be honestly..now i got the recipe from a tv show and i tried that one and was success by gods grace..i am sharing this recipe here..this recipe is a alltime favorite of kuttanad..so this is known as kuttanadan neimeen mappas".
Fish fillets(queen fish) - ½ kg
Pearl onion(small chopped) - ½ cup
Tomato(medium sliced) - 1 cup
Ginger (small chopped) - 1 tsp
Garlic(small chopped) - 1 tsp
Green chilly(half slit) - 2 no s
Red chilly powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
Fenugreek powder(optional) - 1/4tsp
Thin coconut milk - 1 ½ cup
Thick coconut milk - ½ cup
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Oil - 2 tabs
Salt - to taste
Pepper powder - ½ tsp
How to Prepare:
1. Clean and cut the fish into big pieces( I used queen fish/neimeen here ,pearl spot /karimeen can also use instead of queen fish or any fish can use to make mappas)
2. Heat 2 tabs of oil in a clay vessel /pan when it gets hot add mustard seeds ,when they splutters add curry leaves , chopped ginger garlic ,green chilly ,and sauté them well ,when they have flavor add red chilly powder ,coriander powder ,turmeric powder and fenugreek powder(optional) ,and mix well for 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add thin coconut milk first and put the fish fillets into this and salt as required, then chopped tomato also, mix slowly and cover with a lid for 10 to 15 minutes to cook the fish fillets in a simmer mode only.
4. After 15 minutes when the fish is cooked and the gravy reduces to thick form add the thick coconut milk ,add a tabs of oil on top of gravy and swirl it around the clay vessel and just turn off the fire( do not give time to boil the thick coconut milk).
5. Remove from burner and garnish with few curry leaves or coriander leaves on the top of mappas.
6. Queen fish mappas is now ready to serve.